Cortisol is a hormone released by the adrenal glands in response to stress. It triggers your liver to release sugar stores into the blood. High cortisol levels lead to an increased sugar and carbohydrate cravings. This hormone also breaks down your muscle which slows your metabolism.
HOW TO FIX IT:
- Practice deep breathing. Stress forces you to breathe faster and shallower than normal. When you practice deep breathing techniques, you will be able to lower your stress and cortisol levels.
- Make time to do some yoga or meditate each and every day.
- Don’t dose caffeine throughout the day, it needlessly spikes cortisol and can be harmful.
- Focus on getting more, high quality, sleep.
- Get out in nature, listen to calming music, eat a well balanced diet.